The warm summer months tend to do a number on the skin. In fact, dry skin can get even drier in the summer. As the summer months lag on, I can feel my skin becoming more irritated, red, and dry. I try and drink plenty of water and moisturize my skin, but it isn’t helping.
That’s because hot weather increases water loss from the body, leading to dehydration. Sun exposure, heat, and chlorine can dry out your skin in the warmer months as you spend more time outside or poolside. You may also become more dehydrated as the temperature rises which can affect your skin’s appearance.
All-Natural Face Care Ingredients
So, I took matters into my own hands and whipped up this creamy moisturizer made with all-natural ingredients. I chose to use shea butter, calendula oil, rosehip oil, carrot oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E because all of these ingredients nourish, protect, and soothe dry skin. Here is a quick break down of the benefits of using these ingredients.
- Shea butter – This natural butter is a superfood for the skin and instantly helps with dry skin, eczema, and skin problems. As well, the deep moisturizing assists in skin regeneration, and possesses skin healing properties.
- Beeswax – Beeswax can create a protective layer on the skin. It’s also a humectant, which means that it attracts water. Both of these qualities can help the skin stay hydrated. Beeswax is also a natural exfoliator, ideal for sloughing away dead skin cells.
- Rosehip oil – Rosehip oil has unique qualities that are worth adding to your natural products. It is considered a “dry oil and absorbs into the skin. As well, its essential fatty acids to really penetrate and soothe dry skin and fight wrinkles. Some have said it’s better to use than Botox!
- Calendula oil – This healing oil has traditionally been used to treat an assortment of ailments including conjunctivitis, blepharitis, eczema, gastritis, minor burns including sunburns, warts, and minor injuries such as sprains and wounds.
- Carrot seed oil – This oil has an anti-aging effect on the skin and has been shown to have antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Its effects are gentle and healing and protect the skin from outdoor damage, by shielding it from the harshest UV rays and environmental pollution.
- Aloe vera – Using aloe vera for eczema is considered to be an effective and natural way to relieve dry and itchy symptoms and help the skin regenerate.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E oil promotes healing and is an active ingredient in many products available for skin and nails.
Ideally, this moisturizer can also be made during any bouts of extreme weather. Hot or cold air can wreak havoc on our skin. Just think how much money you will save on natural protects that have a more lasting effect on the skin. Try it for yourself and see its results!
Calendula Rosehip Moisturizer
Makes 2 containers
- Using a double broiler, add shea butter and beeswax in a large bowl and heat over medium heat. Allow ingredients to melt and remove from heat.
- Allow ingredients to cool for a few minutes and add remaining ingredients.
- Place the glass bowl in the refrigerator for 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and cooled. You should be able to push a finger through it easily.
- Use a mixer with the whisk attachment, or a hand whisk to mix the facial moisturizer until creamy and smooth. Stop when it looks has a lotion-like consistency. like lotion.
- Using a large spoon, add cream to clean containers.
Use in the evening, or as needed to relieve symptoms. To assist in relieving skin irritation, refrigerate cream to keep cool and apply with clean hands. Note: Because this is an oil-based moisturizer do not go out in the sun without a sunscreen on.