The temperatures are heating up and so are the deals in August. If you are looking for frugal ways to stock up on your food pantry and preparedness supplies, this month will not disappoint!
7 Things You Can Buy To Stock Up On Your Preps
Buying items during certain months of the year will allow you to buy at discounted prices so you can stock up and save big time. You just have to know which items are best to buy.
- Back To School Supplies – Take advantage of the back to school deals and purchase pens, pencils, tape, and other office necessities. Purchase a few extra rolls of tape and get them prepped for Christmas wrapping marathons in a few months! A majority of us are working from home these days, so take advantage of the deals. As well, you can look for small coloring books and crafts that may be on sale to invest in “sanity savers” for off-grid events where the kids need something to do.
- Bug Out Bag Supplies – There are some discounted items this month that could help you in creating a perfect bug out bag. In fact, if you don’t have a bug out bag, this month would be perfect to buy a sturdy backpack. As well, Ziploc bags of all sizes will be on sale and are perfect for organizing bug out supplies, first aid items, just add water meals, etc. As well, premade snacks like packs of crackers, juice boxes, granola bars, etc., will also be good to pick up at the store and are great for comfort foods during emergencies. Stocking up on some comfort food can help during stressful situations and is one of our emergency food pantry rules to follow. Additionally, if you are making your own meals ready to eat (MREs), you can stash a few of these snacks.
- Flu Supplies – There is a shortage of some of these items, but they are usually on sale during this time and deserve a mention. Tissues will be on sale, so stock up on these for the upcoming cold and flu season. On a side note, start stocking up now on vitamins and flu medicines. Chances are, this year’s flu season is going to be a doozy and there could be shortages of these items in a few months. Purchasing a few of your go-to sick items won’t break the bank and will help you get prepped.
- Cleaning Supplies – This is a great time to stock up on soaps, hand sanitizers, disinfectants, bleach, and cleaning wipes (if on the store shelves) so stock up while you can!
- Food Pantry – In preparation for the school season, many stores will have deals on foods that can help you bulk up your food pantries. Items like cold cereals, oatmeal, condiments, juice boxes, peanut butter, jelly, bread, and crackers. As well, stock up on seasonal fruits and use those discounted Zip-loc freezer bags to freeze them for later use.
- Storage Supplies – Many stores will have storage supplies on sale for those heading off the college. We have a lot of our preparedness items organized in labeled storage bins and are a breeze to find.
- Gardening Supplies– Garden tools, summer seeds, and other items will happily be on the discount shelves for you to pick up. How happy will you be next spring when you have these already on hand? Plus you can freeze unused seeds for next year!
Other non-prepper deals to look for are summer apparel, kids’ shoes, beach gear, dorm room bedding, and outdoor furniture.
Check out some of our other monthly savings tips