SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Everything you store and use does not have to come from a store. There was a time when people prided themselves on creating impressive tools and projects that fit their needs. Remember, no one can fit your needs exactly.
Here we have an easy to set up, portable cooking device is valuable in so many situations: hiking trips, camping, and especially survival situations where we won’t have access to our normal conveniences. Things like this simple pocket grill can make all the difference.
- Its a very simple build that begins with two pieces of 3/4 inch pipe.
- You will also need about 25 or so bicycle wheel spokes. These are going to be your grill grates.
- You really just need to cut all of your pipe and spokes about 8 inches in length.
- You will want to leave two spokes about 1 inch longer and bend those at a 90-degree angle, at the tip. This will be how you lock the first and last spokes in place.
- Aside from that, once your pipes are the same size you are going to mark 25 small holes that match up on each pipe and drill the holes for your spokes. THese will be fed through from one pipe to the other and create your grill!
Since you have cut all the pieces the same size you are going to be able to break this grill down, slide the pieces of pipe one inside the other, then all the spokes will go inside as well. You will need to simple copper end caps, that fit on your 3/4 inch pipe and you will be able to slide this entire assembly in your pocket or pack.
That is some powerful convenience for a DIY cooking grate for camping and survival. Who knows, you might be able to eliminate something much heavier thanks to this build.
Bonus: How to Make Pemmican, the Original Survival Food
Invented by the natives of North America pemmican was used by Indian scouts as well as early western explorers.
Native Americans spent a great deal of time on the go and depended on having portable, high-energy, highly nutritious, and filling foods that would last for long periods of time without refrigeration.
Pemmican is a portable, long-lasting, high-energy food. It’s made of lean, dried meat that’s crushed into powder and mixed with hot, rendered fat. This makes it one of the ultimate foods to have stockpiled for when SHTF or disaster strikes.
People really should avert their gaze from the modern survival thinking for just a bit and also look at how folks 150 years ago did it.
These guys were the last generation to practice basic things, for a living, that we call “survival skills” now.