Pre-made craft bows look lovely but where’s the fun in that? Not to mention, you have big costs compared to making your own. This holiday bow how to will help you turn those pretty ribbons into even more stunning wreath and plant décor.
How to Use DIY Christmas Bows
Make a holiday bow, or two, for decoration on gifts and around the house, even out in the garden. Here are some ideas for how to use your DIY bows for the holidays:
- Give the gift of plants and decorate them with bows in lieu of wrapping paper.
- Add a pretty holiday bow to your wreath.
- If you have a lot of material, make small bows to decorate the Christmas tree.
- Put bows outside to decorate a porch, balcony, patio, or backyard and garden for the holidays.
Outdoor Christmas bows add real festive cheer. Just be aware that these will not last forever, probably not more than one season.
How to Tie a Christmas Bow
You can use any kind of ribbon or string you have around the house to craft holiday bows for plants and gifts. Ribbon with wire on the edges work best, as they allow you to shape the bow, but any type will do. Follow these steps for a basic Christmas bow:
- Make the first loop in your piece of ribbon. You’ll use this as the guide for other loops, so size it accordingly.
- Make a second loop of the same size opposite the first loop. Hold the two loops together in the middle by pinching the ribbon between your fingers.
- Add a third loop next to the first and a fourth loop next to the second. As you add loops, keep holding onto the center. Adjust the loops as needed to make them all the same size.
- Use a scrap piece of ribbon, about 8 inches (20 cm.) long and tie tightly around the middle, where you have been holding the loops together.
- Attach your bow using the extra ribbon from the center scrap.
This is a basic template for a gift bow. Add loops to it, play with the sizes, and adjust the bow as you make it to change the look.
The ends of the scrap ribbon in the center of the bow should be long enough to attach the bow to a wreath, a tree branch, or a deck railing. If you want to tie a bow around a potted plant gift, use a longer piece of ribbon in the center. You can wrap it all the way around the pot. Alternatively, use a hot glue gun to stick the bow to the pot.