Landscape design is a professional career for a reason. It’s not easy to put together a design that is both practical and aesthetically pleasing. The backyard gardener can learn to create better designs by learning through landscaping books, though. Here are some of the best to get started with.
Benefitting from Backyard Gardening Books
Some people have a natural ability to design spaces and grow plants. For the rest of us, there are books to serve as guides. Even if you have a natural talent, you can always learn more from the experts.
Choose books that expand your basic knowledge of gardening and landscape design and also those that are specific to your interests, area, and type of garden. For instance, if you live in the Midwest, a book about tropical gardens may be interesting but not much help. Regardless of the setting, any book on the fundamentals of design will be useful.
In addition to the books listed below, find any written by local or regional gardeners and designers. If there is someone from your area who has written on landscape design, it can be a real help for your own planning.
Best Books on Landscaping
Books for creating outdoor spaces should be practical but also inspiring. Find the right balance to help you design your own garden. Here are just a few to pique your interest.
- Step by Step Landscaping. This book from Better Homes and Gardens has been published in numerous updated editions because of its popularity. Get the latest one to learn the basics of landscaping and DIY projects that are easy to follow.
- Edible Landscaping. Written by Rosalind Creasy, this is a great book to get you started on designing a yard that is beautiful and also practical.
- Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City. Dan Pearson wrote this book about his experiences designing a garden in an urban setting. You’ll need it if you are fitting a garden into a cramped city space.
- Lawn Gone. If you’re interested in diving into lawn alternatives but don’t know where to start, pick up this book by Pam Penick. Getting rid of the traditional lawn is intimidating, but this book breaks it down for you and will give you design ideas. It includes advice and ideas for all regions in the U.S.
- Taylor’s Master Guide to Landscaping. This Taylor’s Guides book by Rita Buchanan is great for anyone new to the concept of landscape design. The guide is comprehensive and detailed and includes things like outdoor living rooms, walkways, hedges, walls, and plant types.
- Big Impact Landscaping. Sara Bendrick’s DIY book is full of great ideas and step-by-step projects. The focus is on products that have a major impact on the space but don’t cost too much.