Self defense for women is a vital consideration for every female’s survival as well as an important part of your “Everyday Carry”. Here are five weapons you need to have with you at all times.
Keep in mind that a weapon is always not ideal since it takes time to get it out of your purse, bag, vehicle, etc. We highly recommend learning proper self-defense techniques with your body. For that reason, we recommend the following book below:
Now let’s get into the weapons that can help in such situations:
Best Self Defense Weapons for Women: 7 Picks
1. Strike Pen: This product is amazing. It is a pen on one side and a powerful tungsten tip that can really hurt someone if used as a weapon. It’s perfect to put in your bag, purse, wallet, etc. It’s not suspicious so you can have it in your hand and not “freak” normal people out while walking. Highly recommended!
SurvivalCache.com Special: We partnered with the manufacture to give away a limited supply of these Strike Pens. Once supplies are gone, we will not replenish them. We just ask you to pay for shipping and handling to get it to your home. Claim the offer here.
2. Brass Knuckles: a common self-defense tool that is easy to use. It is easy to grip this tool as you pull it out of your bag, or in your car. You can check out this Blackout Brass Knuckle product that we recommend. They are being given away for free as a self-defense awareness campaign; you just have to pay for shipping. Grab the product here.
3. Ninja Spike Keychain (aka ‘kubotan’): This weapon is intimidating and usually comes with an attachment for your key chain. The Ninja Spike fits perfect in between your fingers as you make a fist. I always grip this spike as I am walking to and from my vehicle. If there is someone up to no good and they see you gripping this weapon, chances are they will pick someone else to prey on. If they don’t happen to notice it and you are attacked, a quick punch in the eye with this will definitely make them let go so that you can flee. In a pinch, you can also grip your largest key between two fingers and use in the same manner, but keys are not as easy to use. The Ninja Spike key chain is perfect for leaving a permanent tattoo on your attacker.
Last update on 2020-10-26 at 15:42 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4. Honeycomb Hairbrush by Cold Steel – This is by far one of my favorite weapons! This is truly a functional hairbrush and it is so innocent looking that no one would ever think that the “brush” part pulls off to reveal a 3 1/2” dagger. This brush is made from Zytel (a stiff nylon fiberglass composite). Keep in mind that this is a dagger meant for stabbing, not a knife used for slashing so you have to have enough strength to thrust this into an attacker. Ladies, this also comes in handy if you get a bad haircut.
5. Paracord Monkey Fist (aka“Monkey Ball”) – The first time I saw this I didn’t know what to think. It just looked like a cute key chain. Then, I swung it against a counter and realized how much damage this could do. It may look like a toy, but it most certainly is not. The Monkey Fist has a steel ball bearing wrapped in that paracord and would most certainly inflict serious damage if swung at a perpetrator’s head or even body. If you connect with this monkey…someone is going down.
6. Open Assist Knife – This knife will open easily with a quick movement of your thumb as opposed to a conventional pocket knife. The ease of only having to use one hand is extremely important should you find yourself in an emergency situation, making this a good choice for an EDC (everyday carry ) This is not a switchblade, as switchblades are illegal in most states. Most states allow you to carry a knife with a blade up to 3”. It is wise to review your local state laws to determine if the knife you plan to carry is legal. Bottom line, when someone sees that you have a knife…they know you mean business and no one wants to get cut.
Check our our guide on the best folding survival knives.
7. MACE, Pepper Spray, (or the hottest) Bear Spray – Most everyone is aware of mace/pepper spray. It is one of the most popular self-defense items that people purchase because it is non-lethal and you do not have to have direct contact with your assailant. When purchasing mace/pepper spray, make sure you get good law enforcement or military-grade one.
There are a few states that restrict mace/pepper spray and you can usually find the restrictions on any website that sells it. Hit someone in the eyes with this and you will magically disappear from their view. Not to mention that the cops will not have a hard time finding the attacker, look for the blind guy walking around like Frankenstein.
Let me conclude by saying I personally am a supporter of people carrying handguns and tasers for self-defense. This is only to serve as a very introductory article for those who may not currently be carrying any kind of weapon at all. All of these items fit easily into a purse and generally do not require a license or permit to carry. Always ensure that any item you carry for self-defense does not conflict with any local regulations.
Best Self Defense Knife for a Woman: Top 3 Picks
Carrying a self-defense knife in your purse, car, etc. can be a good defense tactic. We cover a few good choices below. However, make sure to practice using the knife safely. You do not want to be stuck in a critical situation and not know where you put your self-defense weapon.
Samior HY002 Tiny Mini Flipper EDC Folding Pocket Knife (Best EDC Blade for Women)
You can’t go wrong with 1.5 inches of damascus steel in your pocket and ready to go at a moment’s notice. The Samior brings quality steel in the smooth package of this ergonomically designed grip which makes this folding knife a quality choice for women to carry.
The handle is designed to be ergonomic and is made from a solid blue anodized titanium. The handle also has a lanyard hole present if you don’t have pockets so you can tie it on in a variety of different ways if you want to when you carry it.
The release mechanism to fold this knife is not difficult to engage so even smaller hands can comfortably use this knife with minimal risk to themselves. Great choice for self-defense for women.
- Lightweight and easy to draw due to materials and intelligently deisgned shape.
- Quality damascus steel and titanium composition makes this one reliable for longer periods of time than other comparable blades.
- Ergonomic shape and design makes grasping and using this blade very comfortable and easy for even smaller hands.
- Smaller blade size compared to other similar knives on the market.
- Has no multifunctional capability as it only has the one blade and no other components attached.
- Folding knives are more prone to damage than full-tang knives generally due to having moving parts or springs involved in the construction.
Last update on 2020-10-29 at 01:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Toferner Celtic Pocket Knife (Best Concealed Knife)
Many knives are very obvious in what they are due to conforming to standard appearances but the Toferner stands out as a great option for a blade that is not obvious due to its appearance and can be worn, carried, or concealed in a variety of ways.
There are no moving parts with this one as it forged from a single piece of metal so you are far less likely to have to worry about it breaking or failing when you need it.
The leather sheath that comes with this blade is handy as it allows you to keeo the blade in your pocket, to wear it as a necklace, or to tie it on to something that would allow for quick access. The fact that it could appear as a unique accessory is an advantage as it will be less likely to be clocked as a weapon in a potential survivor situation. I like the fact that you can get creative with how you have this one attached to your gear, kit, or how you carry it.
- High level of concealability due to shape and leather sheath as you can wear it or tie it on in a variety of ways.
- Less chance of gear failure with this bade as it has no moving parts or additions.
- Variety of ways to store or carry this blade due to its shape and sheath set up.
- Shorter blade length due to style of manufacturing.
- Handle shape is not ideal for extended combat in survival situations. It would be ideal for simple thrusts and slices or just to be used as a tool.
- This blade can be diffcult to use depending on hand/finger size and whether or not you’re wearing gloves.
Last update on 2020-10-29 at 01:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This blade stands out as a great knife option that is multifunctional and still reliable. Many multifunction knives are easily compromised so it is worth getting a reliable one like the Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife.
Here you will find a 1.25 inch blade, a keyring, scissors, a screwdriver, a nail file, tweezers, and a toothpick contained in this lightweight frame. Each of these tools are useful for a variety of reasons if you’re creative and clever.
The handle design comes in a wide variety of options so you can select the exterior appearance of your knife while also being sure to stay prepared for whatever life throws at you whether you’re on a camping trip, a hike, or in a potential survival situation. The variety of camo color options are nice!
- Has a variety of tools making it great for multiple kinds of functions and uses.
- Lightweight and sturdy product which makes it easier to carry and conceal when needed.
- Quality material and construction makes this a reliable addition to your EDC.
- The blade is small and thin which can make it less than ideal for combative purposes.
- The short, thin handle may be difficult to wield depending on the and size of the user.
- The spring for the scissors may get knocked out of alignment depending on how you are using it. This is not unheard of when it comes to knives with moving parts and can be easily rectified with proper maintenance.
Last update on 2020-10-29 at 01:12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Lastly, to wrap-up, a weapon can only go so far. Can you always grab the weapon? Most likely no. It’s always best to learn quick techniques in self-defense. The book below is highly recommend and written by an ex-CIA officer:
Photo credits: Spyderco Knives, UDAP, Cold Steel Knives, hearldpost