One of the most magical aspects of autumn is the brilliant color display of leaves. While a few leaves simply wilt and fall, many deciduous trees say goodbye to summer in a burst of glory, with leaves turning brilliant and fiery shades of crimson, flaming orange, yellow, and even purple.
If you love the drama of autumn leaves, you can create a fall leaf garland to decorate a doorway, inside or out. Read on for tips on how to make a DIY fall garland.
Garland of Autumn Leaves
People who are into crafting know how easy and cheap it can be to make something wonderful out of found objects for little to no money. In the autumn, those found objects might be gathered under a tree in your backyard or on the street.
Fall leaves are some of nature’s most beautiful treasures. Whether you live near maples, birch, tulip trees, or others with vivid fall colors, you can probably collect a basketful of leaves in minutes.
Be sure to collect some small leaves that remain on the trees and take these with branches attached. This will help make the base for the garland of autumn leaves.
Fall Leaf Garland Base
Once you have lots of colorful leaves in hand, you have the most important “ingredient” for a DIY fall garland. Bring the leaves along with floral tape, floral wire, scissors, and wire cutters to a worktable to get started.
- First, separate out the leaves with branches attached. You’ll want to build the garland base by attaching these leafy branches to each by overlapping the branch ends by a few inches and wrapping them together with floral wire.
- Add more and more, attaching them carefully. You’ll need three pieces, one string of fall leaves for the top of the door and one for each of the two sides.
- The next step to build a string of fall leaves is to build the centerpiece (this is optional if you prefer something simpler). Use a stick as the centerpiece base, attaching pretty leaves to it with tape. Add pinecones or berries to the center to cover up the tape and make it look attractive. When you are done, attach the centerpiece to the string of fall leaves that will go on the top of the door.
- Next, beef up the side pieces of the fall leaf garland. Add individual leaves to the bases for the sides of the door, using tape to attach them. You can add other festive items that seem appropriate.
- When each side base is fully “leafed,” attach the side bases to the over-the-door base with floral wire. Then mount your DIY fall garland to the door with hooks on each top door corner.