By: Mary H. Dyer, Credentialed Garden Writer
What is garden gratitude? We’re living in difficult times, but we can still find plenty of reasons to be grateful. As gardeners, we know that all living things are connected, and we are able to discover peace and solace in nature. Research indicates that expressing gratitude increases happiness and relieves stress.
People who practice gratitude regularly sleep better and have stronger immune systems. They enjoy happier relationships and are able to express more kindness and compassion.
How To Show Garden Gratitude
Grateful gardening is a simple process that, with regular practice, soon becomes second nature.
Practice grateful gardening for at least thirty days and see what happens. Here are a few thoughts to get you started with expressing garden gratitude:
- Slow down, breathe deeply and appreciate the natural world. Look around and open your eyes to the beauty that surrounds you. Make a point to notice something new every day.
- Take time to remember and think about those who came before you and appreciate all the great things they achieved. Acknowledge the important roles other people have played in your life.
- When your grocery shopping, be grateful for the fruit, vegetables, cereals, and grains that come from the earth and for the hands that grew the food that sustains you.
- Practice saying thank you to others. Be sincere.
- Start a gratitude journal and jot down at least three or four brief reflections every day. Be specific. Think of things that make you joyful in every season of the year. If the weather allows, do your journaling outdoors. Most people find that regular journaling gradually changes the way they see the world.
- Talk to your plants. It might sound a little weird, but research indicates that plants respond positively to vibrations, including the sound of your voice.
This article was last updated on
Read more about Gardening Lifestyle
With our brand new eBook, featuring our favorite DIY projects for the whole family, we really wanted to create a way to not only show our appreciation for the growing Gardening Know How community, but also unite our community to help every one of our neighbors in need during these unprecedented times.
So, this holiday season, we created a giving campaign for two of our favorite non-profits who are working to help put food on the tables of hungry families across the U.S. and around the world.
As a thank you for joining our campaign, we’ll gift you our brand new eBook,. Hopefully, it’ll help make your holiday season as special as possible.
Happy holidays from all of us at Gardening Know How.