With the drastic increase in food prices, it’s time that we all start looking into making some of our favorite go-to snacks and foods. My family loves crackers! They snack on them, pack them for lunches, snack on them some more, and they are added to our dinners at times. That being said, I was horrified to see how much the price of basic crackers went up in our local store. It’s not that I couldn’t afford to buy crackers, it’s just that I didn’t want to spend that much on something I could make with basic ingredients at home.
I had already had some sourdough starter sitting in my refrigerator, so I decided to whip up a quick batch of sourdough cheese crackers. All you need to make these simple crackers is flour, butter, sourdough starter, cheese, and some salt. And the outcome is well worth the time to make them. Don’t worry, this dough comes together very fast!
I call these bougie crackers but really they are just a frugal way of still enjoying tasty food. Try them out, you will love the recipe! As well, feel free to add herbs or different cheeses for added flavor. I love switching the cheese to parmesan and sprinkle a bit of rosemary or Italian herb spices to change it up.
Bougie Sourdough Cheese Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour and butter together until it creates a crumbly mixture.
- Add sourdough starter to the mixture and stir until incorporated, then add cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Once the dough is ready, spread it out on parchment paper and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Use your discretion for the thickness you want your crackers to be. The thinner you can roll, the crispier they will be.
- Using a pizza dough wheel or knife, cut them into squares or desired shape. You can poke a hole in the center which sometimes keeps them flatter.
- Place them on two parchment-lined baking sheets, just using the same pieces of parchment that you used to roll the crackers out. They will not spread, so they can be placed pretty close together.
- Sprinkle crackers with kosher salt before baking.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
This simple 5-ingredient recipe is all you need to make your own homemade crackers for the family to enjoy. Best of all, you know it’s made from simple, low-cost ingredients. Enjoy!
Additional Articles You Might Enjoy: