A magnitude 7.3 earthquake struck Saturday off the coast of Japan’s Fukushima prefecture, near the epicentre of a 2011 earthquake which caused the world’s worst nuclear disasters.
The Japan Meteorological Agency said the quake — which it initially said had a magnitude of 7.1 — struck at 11:08 p.m. local time (9:08 a.m. ET) at a depth of 34 miles.
Woke up to shaking in Tokyo. Turned on TV to learn Magnitude 7.1 earthquake just hit off Fukushima prefecture — just 3 weeks ahead of the 10 year anniversary. Hope everyone is okay. pic.twitter.com/uT0LKJqqHd
— Kurumi Mori (@rumireports) February 13, 2021
The large quake could actually be an aftershock of the deadly 9.0-magnitude earthquake that hit off the same area in 2011, Japan’s Meteorological Agency said.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato told reporters that evaluations were under way, including of the region’s nuclear plants.
“Casualties and structural damage are being assessed,” he told a press conference, but added that parts of the high-speed bullet train network had been suspended because of power outages.
“Surveys are being done at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear pant… We have received reports that Onagawa nuclear plant and Fukushima Daichi nuclear plant are not showing any abnormality.”
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit off Fukushima prefecture in northeastern Japan late Saturday night, leaving several injured and causing widespread power outages in the region. pic.twitter.com/sHOz8bHTDN
— Bloomberg Quicktake (@Quicktake) February 13, 2021
— NHKニュース (@nhk_news) February 13, 2021
The Japan Meteorological Agency said fourteen aftershocks have been recorded, adding that a tsunami warning had not been issued. The quake was also felt in Japan’s capital, Tokyo. “There have been no anomalies reported from any of the nuclear facilities,” Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga told a press conference. “Everything is normal.”
Checks were still being carried out to determine the number injured, he said, urging people not to venture outdoors and to be prepared for aftershocks. Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato told a separate news conference earlier in Tokyo that almost 850,000 households had been left without power in areas surrounding Tokyo and northern Japan.